Monday, November 17, 2008

Man i love being a turtle!

2008.

Sometimes this year has been like last friday, it defines college life. It was 5 in the morning, i felt like death incarnate. I'd pushed down a few red bulls because i had a 65% assignment due the next day that i still hadn't finished, even though i spent SWOTVAC and the first week of exams writing it and therefore had to learn two other courses in a day each cause i didnt go to lectures, cause i was doing assignments every day for the other two courses gggrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaah. I think every uni student's been in that position, where you wonder what the hell you are doing here. When i thought about that, a smile grew as it dawned on me:

I was there at five in the morning cause the last night i had gone to the red room and the regatta with my mining mates to (prematurely) celebrate the end of another fraking awesome year of mining engineering. In a few hours time i'd be free to do WHATEVER i wanted, starting with chilling with my girl, a large napoli pizza with olives and a bottle of Casilero de Diablo. Then, i'd come home to Noosa and spend a day sunbaking, drinking and relaxing on the roof of a pontoon boat with my best mate for his 21st. After three weeks of beach and boost juice lies three MONTHS of three day weeks with BMA in brisbane. Gymming every day, lounging by the pool, getting paid to work on my thesis, I'll be living with my best friend, rent free in the best room in college. Next year i'll be the senior tutor at King's, basically the chief of making sure the freshers dont fail. I got as far as thinking about graduating and starting doing the job i love for real.

My point is that for most, their final year and even uni as a whole, is the 'final stretch', the last dash before they have finally finished education. For some, it's a hard slog to lift there GPA so they can graduate.

That's not me. Life moves pretty quick sometimes and if you don't take the time to look around once in a while, you might just miss something.

From today I'm going to appreciate the rewards of a shiteload of hard work and for the next 18 months i'll be in cruise mode. I'll have a lot of time to appreciate how lucky i am to live in this beautiful part of the world, to have the wonderful people around me i do, and to have the time to able to just sit on the King's jetty, beer in one hand and rod in the other, every day of 2009.

And i really can't think of anything i'd rather be doing.

No comments: